Getting Feedback From Your Students

This is something I've always wanted to try. I have to say I was scared of it. I think it's nice to know what my students think about me and my teaching style. I have had other teachers and my school principal observing my classes, but the group that I think knows the best about me as a teacher are my students.

Letting your students give you feedback will allow them have a different relationship with you and your subject matter. You're empowering them, letting them know how important it is for you to know what they think. It's really a no-brainer, as they are the ones that have first hand experience with you as their teacher. They can really help you shape your teaching style and let you know about simple things you didn't realize, simple things like "you never gave me a turn to participate in the memory game" or "you always call girls first." Things that sound simple, but at the end influence the atmosphere in your class and what your students think of you. Of course, they can also help you feel great when they give positive comments. Encouraging young people to think critically and give constructive feedback is something that I think all teachers can and should focus on. I know I didn't have enough of it growing up in Colombia ...

I teach students in the lower grades (pre-K to 1st), and I have conversations about what they liked in the class, what they'd like to learn in the future, and what they didn't like in the class. I also teach second and third grades, and with this age group I let them fill out an anonymous feedback form with questions about the class in general and about me as their teacher.

You can grab a free copy of this form by clicking on the link below. Give it a try, put yourself out there, and let your students have a voice and active role in shaping who you are as a teacher. It'll empower you and give you fuel for brilliance, too!

Download your copy HERE!

Enjoy getting feedback from your students!
Carolina

Labels: ,